Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Early Riser / Jasper Fforde

Early Riser
by Jasper Fforde

fantasy

copyright 2018
read in January 2021

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

Fforde has taken a step away from Thursday Next. After a two-year writer's block, according to his author's notes.

This is not another Next novel. It is nowhere near as... funny. "True literary comic genius", it says on the cover. The book is not funny.

It's a good story. Set in an alternate universe. Well presented, a solid plot. An alternate world and set in an alternate Wales... Perhaps the book would be funnier if I were Welsh? Perhaps the references to real items and people would be funnier if they were part of my own world?

This is a solid fantasy novel. Expecting "comic genius" spoilt it for me. I also had trouble keeping track of all the characters. One is, we are told, based on a real person... I could not remember that character. Some of the characters are clever, overall it's confusing.

If you have never before read a Fforde book, you may enjoy this one more than I did. Read it as a good fantasy, alternate world, mystery. I expected humour and was disappointed.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

I'd rather be super rich than completely stupid... Ginger Meggs

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: