Monday, October 26, 2020

The Wishsong of Shannara / Terry Brooks

The Wishsong of Shannara
(Shannara #3)
by Terry Brooks

fantasy

copyright 1985
read in October 2020

rated 7/10: well worth reading

It's a strangely disjointed quest. Yes, the two quest groups each have a set aim and the two aims join at the climax. Yet each quest line is... jumpy.

Each quest is a series of adventures. The characters have to travel through a series of unique areas, each area has its unique topography, flora and fauna. Each area has its unique threats. Enter an area, defeat its threat, jump into the next area, rinse and repeat.

The series offers continuity of races, of families and of evolving threats. Towns and city-states exist from book to book. Yet the countryside seems to be divided into distinct, separate areas. Each area is only there long enough to set a distinct challenge for the characters.

Though the final castle supports many chapters. And is that castle huge! Massive halls, multi-level passages, courtyards, passages within the walls... Large enough for several groups to run and hide and barely see each other... It's enormous, far larger than any "real" castle. But then, this is fantasy, so that's okay :-)

There is also a lot of soul-searching... a lot. Am I losing control of the magic? Am I losing control of myself? I don't want to do this but I must... The book began to drag -- but I suspect it's because I was tired when reading, and had other things to be done.

Overall -- it's a good book. Possibly worth reading on its own, distinct enough that it could be read alone. As part of a series -- it is even better.

Each book in this series of three stands alone. As a trilogy, it is even better. The story does not "continue" but each story adds to the world history. And I am always impressed by the length of world history that is covered in the extended Shannara series.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"My science homework ate my dog." ... per Ginger Meggs

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: