Friday, April 3, 2020

Shadow of the Exile / Mitchell Hogan

Shadow of the Exile
(Infernal Guardian #1)
by Mitchell Hogan

fantasy

copyright 2018
read in April 2020

rated was 8/10: really quite good
upgraded after a re-read to 9/10: really really good

09mar24: Read it again... it's still worth 9/10. especially for the "admirable" quality of the good characters. I do like a good good guy.
====


I read a couple of books by this author -- and enjoyed them. When asked, What would you like for a present? I replied, Books by the same author. Good choice!

The titular Infernal Guardian is a demon. A typical fantasy summoned demon. Yet his "motivations" are well explained. This is a unique -- and believable -- story of a demon's adventures in the "real" world.

The adventure is non-stop. Somewhat episodic though there is an overall linking thread. The action is brutal... he is a demon, after all. Though the humans are just as brutal.

The plot is straightforward, there are no ridiculous plot twists. The plot is... almost... predictable. Yet... still enjoyable.

This is a very enjoyable book. Action, adventure, good characters -- especially the demon, if only for the explanation of his character. Should I rate it as nine, really really good? Almost...
===

19jun20: I read this book again. Enjoyed it as much if not more. Discovered another reason why I like it:

The two main characters are likable. More than that -- they are admirable.

I like this book. I like it on a second reading. I've just changed my rating from eight, to nine out of ten: the book is really, really good :-)
===

04dec20: Read it again. Nine out of ten, definitely :-)read it again, enjoyed it again.
I may need to look for the more recent  book by this author :-)
07aug23:




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===
Carpe Librum, Seize the Book … Scottish Book Trust on Read a Book Day
===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: