Saturday, April 18, 2020

Girls with Sharp Sticks / Suzanne Young

Girls with Sharp Sticks
(Girls with... #1)
by Suzanne Young

science fiction, subadult, chicklit

copyright 2019
read in April 2020

rated 7/10: well worth reading

I start reading this book and quickly think, lightweight chicklit, I suppose they are secretly learning witchcraft, a sort of Hogwarts for sweet young girls... I am soon disabused.

Yes, it is set in a school full of young, attractive girls. They look good, they dress well, they are overwhelmed by thoughts of boys. The girls support each other with love... a less chicklit book could have substituted loyalty and camaraderie.

Then the true nature of the school is -- gradually -- disclosed. It is not nice.

I call it "chicklit", the audience is definitely older girls, very young women. Yet this is not a rosy world. There is a strong message -- feminist, I suppose: be yourself, do not shape yourself to satisfy the demands of men. It's a harsh message. I hope the evil alternative is exaggerated. Even so, it is a worthwhile message.

Near future. Science fiction. Subadult chicklit with a message. The message is heavy but it adds to my enjoyment of the book. The characters do not have much depth, but I like them.

My only disappointment is, that this book becomes the first of a series. The end is satisfying -- but with too much left for expansion into the series. Book one is exploration and exposure of a grand idea. I hope that subsequent books are not... a series of girlie adventures.

btw: I do recognise the similarities to an old short story / film. To name it would be a terrible spoiler. Though the similarity is very quickly apparent. Only the method is held for gradual -- somewhat startling -- revelation.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===
"No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway." … per Ginger Meggs
===
Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: