Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thunderbird / Jack McDevitt

Thunderbird
(Ancient Shores #2)
by Jack McDevitt

science fiction

copyright 2015
read in February 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

According to Stephen King -- as quoted on the cover of this book -- McDevitt is "The logical heir to Arthur C. Clarke." Yes, I can't deny it, Clarke could take amazing science and turn out a rather tedious book. As has McDevitt.

I guess it's a "human based" story. Told through the actions of a dozen or so various people, none of whom really gain my sympathy. Except for the mother who plays a minor role, then has the final epilogue.

I can understand the motivations of the main characters but have little interest in whether they live or die. Not that there's any real threat that anyone will die. There are risks taken, actions done, no real suspense.

The science is fascinating, there's a lot of potential for high adventure, it just does not happen.

The story is about human reaction to the scientific possibilities -- and it's rather depressing. The reactions are realistic -- I have no trouble believing that all this would happen -- and it's a very depressing view of humanity.

As I read, I enjoy the potential... but that potential is never realised. There's an obvious opening for a third book but I doubt if much will happen then, either. Potential for excitement dragged down to a depressing -- realistic -- reflection on the boring limitations of humanity.



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Don't waste your time looking back on what you have lost. Move on, life is not meant to be travelled backwards."

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: