Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Thud! / Terry Pratchett

Thud!
(Discworld #30)
by Terry Pratchett

fantasy, humour

copyright 2005
re-read in January 2018

and read again in October 2021:
Interesting... I  *dis*agree with most of my 2018 review. I may have been in a particularly woke mood when I wrote it.
Also, I believe that I missed (on the earlier reading) the point of the "Following Dark". It explains Vimes' anger -- and shows the strength of Vimes' character.
Yes, he is honest. He also resists the urge to be ruled by his anger. He is the ideal incorruptible policeman.

On this reading I also appreciated the pointed disgust at the narrow-minded thinking -- or non-thinking -- of the religious leaders.

And then... yes, the plot is centred on Vimes' anger. The key theme, however, is intolerance. Or, rather, the theme is that intolerance is not good. And it may be due to misunderstanding.

Finally: I do agree with my earlier opinion, that the book is well worth reading.... but... it is well worth reading -- whether or not you are already a Discworld fan.
And I would change the rating. To a 7... at least.

rated 6/10: read to pass the time. Or better :-)

The usual Discworld mix of adventure, humour and social commentary. Not bad but not one of the best.

Central to the plot is the anger of Commander Vimes. Unfortunately the anger seems to belong as much to the author as to the character. This blunts the humour; the author is attacking the reader with a blunt object...

Still, it does highlight something interesting: it is acceptable (or, at least, accepted) that a religious group may be the subject of pointed -- almost insulting -- commentary. As long as, perhaps, the author is famous enough. (btw: I first typed "humour" then changed it to "commentary". There is very little humour in the treatment of the ultra-orthodox religious leaders who wear all-black, all-covering robes. Very little humour, very pointed disgust.)

If you are not already a fan -- start with another in the Discworld series. The series quality varies, this is not one of the best. (Nor the worst.) Definitely not one of the funniest. If you are already familiar with Discworld, this book is well worth reading.

===

btw: When I *re*read a book I like to post a comment on the original review. I first read this book several years ago. I thought it would be within the years of this blog -- but I can't find a review. If I later find an earlier review... I will post a comment to link the two.







Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." … Robert A. Heinlein

===

No comments: