Monday, January 8, 2018

Let's Eat Granma / Joanne Adams

Let's Eat Granma
by Joanne Adams

selfhelp

copyright 2017
read in January 2018

rated 8/10: really quite good

An excellent little book on grammar!

I'm wondering: Would I have rated it as *nine* out of ten -- except that it is a reference book rather than fiction? I think, Yes. I enjoyed reading it but there was not the feeling of absorption that comes with a good novel... It is "really, really good" as a work of *non* fiction.

My son & I occasionally debate points of grammar, so he gave me this book. It includes a section on the use of the apostrophe. With a clear example that demonstrates that, on a very recent debate -- my son was correct... Oh well.

The book is entertaining, humorous -- and informative. I suspect that its intended audience is teenagers at school... and young adults who should have paid more attention at school. But it can be read by anyone, of any age.

The humour is light. This is clearly a book which explains correct grammar -- with just enough humour to make it easy to read. The book title, for example, is from an example of correct use of the comma.

I read the entire book, quite quickly, to find out what was covered. Now I will keep it close -- knowing the key topics -- ready for the next grammatical debate with my son :-)





Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." … Robert A. Heinlein

===

No comments: