Saturday, August 5, 2017

Dragonflight / Anne McCaffrey

Dragonflight
(Dragons of Pern #1)
by Anne McCaffrey

fantasy, science fiction

copyright 1968
re-read August 2017

rated 8/10: really quite good

Some books stick in the mind; this is one such book. I read it many many years ago -- possibly when it was quite a new book. And I remembered it, and wanted to read it again. Finally -- thanks to a gift from friends -- I have a copy.

There are several reasons for wanting to read Dragonflight a second time. First, I remember that I enjoyed the first reading. Second, I have recenty read other Pern books by McCaffrey: so how did it all start? Third, I was wondering how the story would stand up to my changed reading interests.

So first & third: I enjoyed re-reading this book. I enjoyed it as much as I remember enjoying the first reading. And second: okay, some things have changed but the seeds were there, in the first book of Pern.

[This book clearly sets the scene for later Pern novels. I'm taking that as a sign of good writing. I see no indication that my copy of the book has been updated to suit the histories of later books.]

On a casual reading I would call this book a "fantasy". Having done a quick google I have found it classed as either fantasy or science fiction... Oh? Well, dragons always mean fantasy... imo :-) Yet later books on Pern give a clearly science fiction explanation for the dragons. And for other aspects of Pern. This early book reads like fantasy but has enough scientific hints to class as science fiction.

The main theme of later McCaffrey books is family... Or, possibly, people, relationships and family. There is also a strong feeling of family history: characters who have familiar names are descended from characters in earlier books. There is -- and here I am working from memory, I hope it is accurate memory -- there is a lot of importance placed on the warm and fuzzy aspects of relationships. Sometimes -- in my memories, at least -- the McCaffrey schmaltz is a bit toooo sweet.

Dragonflight shows signs of this sweetness... but not enough to interfere. The story is still full of action and fantasy and excitement and all the good stuff that I enjoy. With enough niceness to enjoy without gagging.

So it's really quite good... and I'm glad to have finally had a chance for a second reading :-)

There are, however, some aspects which are interesting... almost dated... but do not affect my enjoyment. Mostly, the "dragonmen".

I'm sure that the later books have dragonmen -- and dragonwomen. Dragonflight -- which is a mashup of several novellas -- seems to drift. At the start, dragons are generally ridden by men. (Except for the golden dragon.) Towards the end, there is a vague hint that some of the dragons are ridden by women. Not just the golden dragons. I can't guarantee the facts. Just a feeling. A feeling that the original novellas were shifting with the emerging equality of the times.

All very interesting, just a small possibility of a book which could be dated... yet is not.

The story is solid, the characters are clear. The story is not to modern "standards" -- yet there is no feeling that it has dated.

This was a good story when it was written. And it is still a good story. A very good story.

I enjoyed reading it again.
===

25nov20: Saw the book, decided to read it again...

I agree with my comments above. With one extra point -- possibly due to current public interest in issues of domestic violence.

First, the book is extremely paternalistic. The main character -- Lessa -- is a woman, she does amazing things, she is utterly dominated by the man.

The man takes her home. Tells her nothing. Expects Lessa to be his servant: At least she has some use, he thinks, as she bandages his wounds.

The man tells Lessa nothing of his plans. Then gets angry when Lessa acts -- unwittingly -- against those hidden plans. She whimpers in apologetic submission. He shakes her violently. He shakes her violently, several times. It seems to be his standard response to anything other than Lessa's total submission.

The man is a violent bully.

Oh, and then there are the dragons. The dragons save the planet. Every indication is, that the dragons are as intelligent as humans. The dragons talk, intelligently. And are ordered about as though they are brainless animals.

The men are macho, they force their will on women and dragons. The women are heroic, simpering servants. I may have claimed that the book does not feel dated... I was wrong. The relative status of the men and women is prehistoric.

Oh, btw. I still enjoyed reading the book.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"Lawyers pay for their mistakes, doctors bury them, architects grow ivy on them. And consultants charge for them."

https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/
   

No comments: