Monday, August 14, 2017

A Dark and Hungry God Arises / Stephen Donaldson

A Dark and Hungry God Arises
(The Gap #3)
by Stephen Donaldson

science fiction

copyright 1992
re-read in August 2017

rated 9/10: really, really good

It's years since I first read this book. I may have read it twice, I remember that I enjoyed it. This year I am reading the Gap series in sequence... with just a few other books to break it up. I can remember highlights, some details, the overall thrust of the plot -- and enjoy it even more.

Sometimes it helps to re-read a book. To know what will happen in subsequent chapters. To be able to understand -- in light of that known "future" -- just what is happening "now". The Gap series benefits from rereading: I'm getting a better appreciation and understanding of its complexities.

This book -- book three -- also has some plot positives. That is, main characters are winning at intermediate objectives. In this book the winning involves action, cunning and super powers... which is all good fun.

Books one and two concentrated on personal levels of threat and torment. This book three opens up the wider world -- and has a lot of physical action, plenty of bangs and booms. All of which I find a lot easier to enjoy. Okay, it's escapism. I can't deny that I enjoy escapism :-)

I'm enjoying the series. This is the best book in the series.

So far.



====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"If you're not part of the solution, you're in government." … per Ginger Meggs
   

No comments: