Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Woodworking Handtools / Graham Blackburn

Illustrated Encyclopedia of Woodworking Handtools
by Graham Blackburn

reference, self help

copyright 2015
skimmed in July 2017

rated 7/10: well worth reading

For various reasons, I visited my local library once a week over several weeks. Each week I would spend the last few minutes of my visit sitting near a "new books" display. This book sat on the display... How could I resist ?!

I checked it out. Skimmed it. Found it to be absolutely fascinating ! Yet it is not perfect.

Who would have thought there were so many types of axe? Including the very recognisable fireman's axe, with it's distinctive spike. Why a spike? And that's a weakness of this book...

Or perhaps not a "weakness". More an "incompleteness". Something which would take a much... much... larger book to satisfy.

The book is fascinating. I'm reminded of facts which I had forgotten. Presented with facts which I have never known. And left with more questions unanswered...

There are hundreds of handtools listed. Each tool deserves at least a chapter of further explanation: where, when, why, and how to use it. I'm left wanting more!

If you are a regular user of handtools, this book is ... an encyclopedia ... which will round out your knowledge and understanding. For the person with a vague but impractical interest -- that is, me -- it's a fascinating yet incomplete introduction to historic and modern handtools.

Well worth reading. If you agree with that opinion -- you will be left, wanting more.


====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot." ... André Breton

https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/
   

No comments: