Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Real Story / Stephen Donaldson

The Real Story
(The Gap #1)
by Stephen Donaldson

science fiction

copyright 1990
re-read in July 2017

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

First time I read this book -- quite a few years ago -- I had just read one or more *later* books from the Gap series. That time, I thought, What ?! Not pleasant, rather pointless...

This time I gave more attention to the book. Actually tried to follow what was happening :-) This reading, the book is much better. Still... six out of ten?

Now I understand what it's all about. I also made more sense of the author's afterword. Though mostly, I was amazed at the complexity of the writer's mind.

It's a good story. Especially with an understanding of the author's intent. Good but -- in terms of *my enjoyment* -- not great. Its main strength -- again, to me -- is as an introduction to the Gap series.

It's complex, it's interesting, it's set in a tough and nasty world of space stations, space ships and space piracy. All good fun. Yet the main thrust is to explore the characters.

The following Gap books -- if I remember correctly -- add more to this book of the beginning. Read this book to pass the time. Definitely read it first, if you intend to read the entire series.

And yes, the entire Gap series is -- at least -- as far as I remember -- well worth reading.
===
2feb22: Yes, it's still an unpleasant book. I can't claim that I enjoyed it.
The writing style is.. ridiculous! I mean, Eyes that are the black of fear and loathing... good grief.

The plot hangs together. Motives are dubious. The world is interesting.
Now I plan to re-read the entire series. Which -- as I remember -- is over the top space opera... but not, I hope, as nasty.



=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"Vegetarian": Old Indian word for "Bad hunter".


Broome & Beyond: http://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/



No comments: