Wednesday, July 27, 2016

In Certain Circles / Elizabeth Harrower

In Certain Circles
by Elizabeth Harrower

"other"

written in 1971
copyright 2014
part read in July 2016

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

This book is "an intense psychological drama about family and love, tyranny and freedom." Must be, it says so on the back cover. By page 52 it's also a jumpy, somewhat dated, melodrama about rich girl being fascinated by sullen intellectual from the other side of the tracks.

It's quite entertaining. Interesting observations of characters, laid on heavy so we don't have to think too deeply. As I read, my main intellectual effort is to re-imagine the past in order to understand what is happening.

Like any old book, the language, actions and environment are of the era. The modern reader is left to guess at some of the meanings.

The war, for example... Which war ?!

The book was published in 2014. It was written by 1971. It seems to be set soon after 1945. Or possibly, soon after 1918... no... there is a telephone in the house.

So yes, this is yet another Australian book where the author is not interested in the present day... Not even in the present day in which the book was written. Though, to be fair, it's possible that 1971 has been reached by the end of the book. I didn't read that far.

In my efforts to be cultural, I have lined up books which are in the top ten for this year's Premier's Book Award. The first was not very good. This one takes a very standard premise:

Rich girl is fascinated by sullen intellectual -- simply because he is not instantly in love with her. How old is that idea ?!

Still, it's light and easy to read. Perhaps something will happen, and there will be suspense or excitement. Just, not so far. So far, it's harmless. And not quite boring.

Here's the indicator of my evaluation: I think I could read to the end without being too put off. But it's a library book. I will be at the library tomorrow. I think I shall return the book, unfinished. Even though it is not yet due back. That's my level of enthusiasm.

Light. Easy to read -- though hard to follow. Reminds me why I prefer to read fantasy and science fiction.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
====

"Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent." … Tibetan philosophy
   

No comments: