Thursday, July 14, 2016

Galilee / Clive Barker

Galilee
by Clive Barker

fantasy

copyright 1998
partly read in July 2016

rated 5/10: readable, but only if there's nothing else

Seventy pages of introduction. Now I know that the story will involve two families: one immortal with super-powers, the other mortal. I also know that the story will be written as a massive flashback. Heading back to the miserable present.

I think, I'll give it twenty pages. See if there's any character that I like. See if there's anything at all that I like about this book.

Another fifty pages. I've met a poor fisherman who suffers, becomes a mystic, dies. He's not a likeable character. In fact, he's so two-dimensional that he's neither likeable nor dislikeable. Just boring, unbelieveable, apparently irrelevant.

I know that the immortal family are unlikeable. Now I have been told that the mortal family are a bunch of murderous nutters.

Will I read the remaining 670 pages of this boring and turgid nonsense?

Not unless there's absolutely nothing else to read.

Even the telephone directory is starting to seem better.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
====

"Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent." … Tibetan philosophy
   

No comments: