Monday, January 4, 2016

Toll the Hounds / Steven Erikson

Toll the Hounds
(Malazan #8)
by  Steven Erikson

fantasy, fansonly

copyright 2008
opened in January 2016

rated 4/10: bad but could be read ?

Miserable. Sick. Horrible. Impossible to understand. And that's just the introduction.

The first two pages of chapter one introduced a swag of negative characters. Nothing at all that makes me want to read more. So I stopped.

My rating is "bad but could be read" followed by a question mark. To me, it's bad. I guess that other people can read it. After all, it's book eight of a series.

To me, it's bad. My rating would be even lower -- but I feel I must make some allowance for the opinion of readers who have struggled further into this book.

And I added a second category: "fansonly". Which means, "rubbish, though fans may enjoy it." To me -- after just a few pages -- it's rubbish. Perhaps, though, there are fans who will enjoy it.



====

"The easier it is to do, the harder it is to change"... per Ginger Meggs
   

No comments: