Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Dawnthief / James Barclay

Dawnthief
(The Raven #1)
by James Barclay

fantasy

copyright 1999
read in June 2015

rated 8/10: really quite good

Is this Barclay's first novel ? It's really quite good !

Okay, it does drag a bit. Especially at the start, the first quarter of the book. There seems to be a lot of discussion, a lot of interaction between the characters.

Although... now I come to think about it... there were several fights before the one that I see as the first major action scene. Was I just looking for a quick, mind numbing bit of fantasy action ?

No... I think that the problem is, it's hard to see how the regular discussions tie in to the plot. Character development is good. Irrelevant character development becomes tedious. In that first part of the book I could not see that the discussions -- character development ? -- were advancing the plot.

Especially when characters were suddenly killed !

No worries... This book is still, really quite good...

How do you mix sword and sorcery, without one overwhelming the other ? You have them fighting together... supporting each other... sword and sorcery working together.

Very good !

The magic itself is interesting. Powerful but with limitations. Energy sapping, just like any other exertion. Ranging from simple to ridiculously complex -- but I never thought, this is ridiculous. The underlying methods just make sense.

Generally likeable characters... Despite their bickering, the main characters were all loyal to the group and supportive of their friends. On the other hand, none were likeable enough for me to really, truly, hope that they lived through to the end of the book... Though I may have been influenced by seeing several characters die before I could really get to know them.

There are one or two very clever lines. I particularly like, "Well, I guess we shouldn't hang around here here waiting for the end of the world. Let's go and create it for ourselves." :-)

Overall, it's a good solid book with action, adventure and characters that you can grow to like. Plus a clear plot which makes sense. And there is a clear and satisfying ending -- with lots of room for the next books in the series.

I'm not in a desperate rush to read more Raven books. But I'll be glad if I find some more, in my next search for something to read.

No comments: