Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Something Coming Through / Paul McAuley

Something Coming Through
by Paul McAuley

science fiction, young adult

copyright 2015
read in May 2015

rated 8/10: really quite good

Another book which I read, then immediately decided that I wanted to read it again ! But...

The January Dancer justified the second reading. Good plot, good characters -- and every page was packed with clever cultural references, clever uses of the language. Something Coming Through had the good plot, the good characters -- but lacks the detail which could be missed at first reading.

On the other hand...

Coming Through is written for modern young adults. Look, says the author, I understand your subculture... and here's an extension of your world into a near-but-different future. It's very well done. At least, I think it's very well done !

I'm not a young adult so it's possible that I misjudge. However. What I do find is that I am not excluded. There are in-jokes, modern cultural references. And the author is willing to take the time to hint at the meaning of some of the more obscure.

In an earlier review I was annoyed that the cultural references were not explained. Worse, there was a strong implication that, because I did not understand -- I was a fool. That book was very much, them versus us. If you're not a young nerd than you're a fool.

Coming Through has a young adult, modern heroine. Clever, honest, just a little bit rebellious. There is also an older hero, of father figure age. Wearied by experience yet keen, capable, honest. He is there to do some of the tough but necessary legwork.

A good balance of characters. Rather than one -- young -- unbelievable superhero.

The two main characters, heroine and hero, are given alternate chapters. (Until their storylines finally collide.) Something struck me as odd... I had to double-check, to be sure...

It seems that chapter titles may be back in fashion. This book includes a date for each chapter. And... the dates are out of step !

Turns out, this is a very clever version of flashback. Or alternative to flashback. One storyline starts before the other... The two gradually move closer... And merge in time for the grand finale.

Very, very clever !

Though the grand finale is just a little bit weak. Sure, it's satisfying. But it's more of an introduction to the next books than a conclusion to this one.

The book is really quite good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There no great depth to justify an immediate second reading. But I'm definitely hoping to read more of the series.

Likeable characters. Good plot. An enjoyable view of a near future world.

Well worth reading.


No comments: