Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Restoree / Anne McCaffrey

Restoree
by Anne McCaffrey

science fiction, romance

copyright 1967
read in March 2015

rated 7/10: well worth reading

A simple book. Easy to read. Light, enjoyable, pure fantasy... Well, strictly speaking, it's science fiction. You know: from Earth to another planet, space ships, aliens, space war... Deep down, though, this book is a romantic fantasy.

And I enjoyed it. Which is the key criterion for my rating.

As I read it I was thinking, Thank goodness, McCaffrey has avoided the family, spiritual, Earth Mother approach that seems to be central to her stories. Then I checked the copyright date... Ah, it's quite old. Written when McCaffrey was, perhaps, interested in romantic love rather than happy families.

Not that I have anything against happy families. But too much sweetness and light tends to rot my teeth and make my eyes water. I like characters who are nice but not saccharine sweet.

Ah, whatever !

This is a light romantic romp on an alien planet. A story of a young woman's dreams come true: sudden beauty, thrilling adventure and a hero who loves her.

If that's what you want, it's worth seven out of ten. By more objective measures... it could be a six. But it's my enjoyment, so it's my rating :-) Seven out of ten.




=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge
Problems ? Solved
(+61) 0419197772
=======

William Wordsworth - "To begin, begin."


No comments: