Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Monsters of Templeton / Lauren Groff

The Monsters of Templeton
by Lauren Groff

fantasy ? fiction

copyright 2008
partially read in May 2014

rated 7: well worth reading

Well worth reading -- though I'm not going to finish reading it...

I believe that this is a good book -- but not for me. There's a bit of fantasy -- I enjoy reading fantasy. Really, this book -- in the first 100 pages -- is very human angst. And a lot of it is angst that torments the heroine but leaves me... uninterested.

According to the author's introduction, Monsters is homage to her own small home town. Interesting. A small *American* town.

This town is a city !

Okay, that's by my standards. So many civic structures. So many people. So many streets. So much bigger than my own image of a small town !

Okay, it's just a small town by american standards. But the scale does make it difficult for me to accept the small town, everyone knows everyone else, mentality.

There are other books that I have stopped reading because they are bad. This book, I have stopped reading simply because it fails to interest me.

If this is your type of book, I believe that you will enjoy it. A good book -- as far as I can tell -- a good book of its kind.

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: