Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Murder in LaMut / Raymond E. Feist & Joel Rosenberg

Murder in LaMut / Raymond E. Feist & Joel Rosenberg
Legends of the Riftwar (2?)
fantasy

copyright 2002
read in May 2014

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

The heroes are tough mercenaries to whom fighting and killing are simply what they do for a living. Simple killers with depths of intelligence and sympathy. Quite likeable, in fact.

There's a solid background of war and politics and intrigue. Simplified, perhaps, but realistic -- as far as I know !

A story of simple killers in a situation which is beyond their experience. Where they adapt their skills and knowledge in order to survive. And prevail.

On the down side, there are more nobles than I could follow. More captains than I could remember, let alone remember their allegiances. Still, it was clear enough to allow me to follow most of what was happening :-)

The confusion of characters is, I guess, a penalty of reading one book in a series. Despite this confusion, I have no trouble enjoying this book without having read its predecessor.

The actual Murder caught me by surprise. Then I followed half a step ahead, behind -- or to one side -- as justice was pursued.

Pursued to an interesting conclusion...

Not so much satisfactory, as acceptable.

I enjoyed this book. It's not great but it is good. It seems that the characters from book one have been placed in a different situation for this book two...

I wonder if I would also enjoy book one ? I think that I would like to find out.

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: