Thursday, January 12, 2012

Vicious Circle / Linda Robertson

Vicious Circle

category: romance, fantasy, author:

Linda Robertson


original copyright 2009

read in January 2012

Agamedes' opinion: 6 out of 10: read to pass the time


The library has this book as "horror, romance"... Horror ? Nooo...

Sure, the characters are supernatural: werewolves (sorry, waerwolves), witches and vampires, with mention of various other supernatural beings. But "horror" ? No way !

This book is romance.

With supernatural.

Like Twilight: it's just too nice to be "horror".

I don't like to compare books; each book should be judged alone -- according to my Pissweakly standards. But the thought is too strong to ignore: Vicious Circle is a cross between Twilight and a Dresden Files novel. The romance of Twilight but for an older (female) reader. A simpler version of the right-all-wrongs Dresden hero... Simpler, cleaner and prettier !

I scored Circle as six out of ten but really, it's worth a seven, well worth reading. Except that this is my opinion. I enjoyed the read but would have liked something a bit... stronger... ?

There's action and romance. Magic and potential mayhem. Great fun but just a little bit light -- for my liking. Supernatural-lite. I do like a happy ending. But before that, I prefer a bit more bite from my werewolf.

That said, I would happily read any more books with these characters... Even "Nana" became bearable (not quite likable) as the book progressed.

An enjoyable book. Even more enjoyable for readers who like more teeth but less bite in their fantasy romances.

The author's first novel ? An excellent effort !

..o0o..
These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.
For an independent and thoughtful review of
your processes, problems or documents,
email nickleth at gmail dot com.
PissWeakly: the Index

No comments: