Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cocktail Time / P.G. Wodehouse

Cocktail Time

category: humour, author:

P.G. Wodehouse

book 3 of Uncle Fred
original copyright 1958,
read in October 2010

Agamedes' opinion: 8 out of 10

What a pleasure to read another book by Wodehouse! It's been too long... I must do it more often :-)

I had been reading The Great Gatsby and -- realising that both Fitzgerald and Wodehouse were writing about the idle rich -- I took a break from Gatsby in the charm of Wodehouse's Uncle Fred.

What a relief!

Wodehouse writes with charm, with humour, with humanity. There's a tangled plot, with ultimate success depending on a dozen or so successful resolutions, several of these being successful romantic pairings. Uncle Fred -- Lord Ickenham -- strolls through the idyllic English countryside spreading sweetness and light and no little chaos amongst all of his friends and acquaintances.

Wodehouse also has an excellent -- amusing and clever -- way with the English language. It took me a second reading to absorb the reference to "the old son of a bachelor"... Then there are the classic and poetic references mixed in with the casual conversation.

Young Cosmo Wisdom is speaking with the elder Howard Saxby:

"How's your wife, My Wisdom?"

Cosmo said he had no wife.

"Surely?"

"I'm a bachelor."

"Then Wordsworth was wrong. He said you were married to immortal verse."
Now that meant absolutely nothing to me, either! But it did seem to be significant... and a little web searching found the original poem by Wordsworth... which still meant very little -- but was such a pleasure to find!

Two days after reading Cocktail Time I needed a book to fill in a few idle hours. I reread Cocktail Time. And enjoyed it just as much -- at least.

I must remember to check my sources, for more books by P.G. Wodehouse!


..o0o..
These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.
For an independent and thoughtful review of
your processes, problems or documents,
email nickleth at gmail dot com.

No comments: