Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Pride and Prejudice / Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice 
by Jane Austen

Romance

copyright 1813

04jan24: Yes, I've read it again -- and enjoyed it again.
There's another book that I see as an updated... to 1909... version of P&P. Yet Set in Silver makes P&P seems harsh by comparison.
P&P is very much a critique of society. Where characters are foolish, or unpleasant, the author does not hesitate to say so. Both strengths and weaknesses are laid out clearly for the reader.
====

read... several times... last in October 2021

rated 9/10: really, really good

Good grief! I've read P&P so many times -- and have yet to review it.
So here goes:

In October 2021 I re-read P&P.

Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Reached the end and thought, Oh, that was sooo good :-)

So LotR is still my favourite book.
Right now, I think that P&P must be my *second* favourite.
For entirely different reasons.
For a hint of my reasons... have a look at my review for Persuasion.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

Dec 2022: read it again, enjoyed it again :-) What a thoroughly enjoyable book :-)
====

I did have a new thought:

It can be difficult to understand all that happens. (1) the prose is somewhat complex. (2) there are assumptions that, a century later, I no longer understand.

And (3) Good grief. This book was written by candlelight. In longhand. Using a quill pen.

Given electricity. Electric lights. Good reading glasses. A modern word processor for drafts, checks, updates and corrections -- I still could not write an entire novel. Not even a bad one.
How did Austen do it? And so well.
It's amazing :-)


No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: