Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Hero of Ages / Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages
(Mistborn #3)
by Brandon Sanderson

fantasy

copyright 2008
read in April 2019

rated 7/10: well worth reading

It's a lot of fun, a lot of excitement, enormously complex...

This is book three of a trilogy. I read one, missed two... yet three is still very enjoyable. Sure, a lot of characters are no more than vague memories; doesn't matter. It still makes sense. There are a lot of references to book two, enough to guess some of what happened, doesn't matter. This book is enjoyable all by itself.

There's a lot of analysis of the religious background to the action, that can drag. Yet, at the end, it all -- sort of -- makes sense.

In fact, quite a lot of the book drags, as the characters analyse what they are thinking, what they are doing, what they will be doing. But it doesn't matter!

There is enough action, enough good characters -- and bad characters who become good -- to keep me reading. The end is a good wrap-up for the book. And, I suspect, a very satisfying wrap-up for the entire trilogy.

Well worth reading. Even without having read books one or two.
====
31jul22: I picked up this book and...
I knew I'd read it before. I knew that it was the very satisfying conclusion to a trilogy.
I could not be bothered reading it.

Just not in the mood for reading a complex book. 
Also, my appreciation was spoilt by having read about Sanderson's "cosmere". It's nice to know that there are other related adventures in this universe. On the other hand... it means that the end -- no matter how satisfying -- is not really the end. Sometimes this makes me think, I wonder what happens next. This time it was... "Very nice but so what." A bit like reading Clarke's City and the stars: the breadth of the universe makes any one novel seem trivial... and less interesting.
But really -- I was just not in the mood for a solid, serious and complex book.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them." … Robert Jarvik

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



No comments: