Wednesday, September 21, 2022

apple air tablet pc

Spple Air tablet PC

rated 3/10: so bad it's embarrassing

I bought a new tablet PC. It's an Apple "Air" or some such. I'm not interested in the make and model. Just believe that, at July 2022, it is the latest model Apple tablet.
And it's a real bugger.

First: every so often it stops and restarts. No reason. It seems that it's a known problem. (Though, a couple of months later the problem does seem to have been fixed.
====
10oct22: Not fixed. Today -- once again -- restart for no reason.
What a load of rubbish.


Second: It can't be used resting on my lap.
Sit comfortably. Rest the tablet conveniently on my lap -- and it stops. Claims a temperature emergency And restarts. My best guess is that there is an air gap, for cooling, at the bottom -- just where it rests on my lap. So no air, no cooling.

Then there are its limitations.
I have a few dozen epub books, gathered for a rainy day. All are readable on my ancient Android tablet. The Apple refuses to read half of them. Which is a pity because the screen is nice and clear, easy-reading. But I'll take my old Android on holiday, it reads all of those epubs.
Plus, I know how to connect the old tablet to holiday wifi services. The Apple is a mystery... which brings me to the final -- major -- problem:

Okay, this probably applies equally to current model Android tablets: This device wants to control me.

I had dreams of sitting comfortably. Tablet on my lap. Doing my work (or pleasure) Perhaps writing the great Australian novel. with the help of a modern tablet PC. Fat chance :-(

I open a doc to edit. Three taps -- and the entire document is wiped! What?! Bugger.
Try again.
Weird. There is no way to tap the screen where I want to type. I have to tap and slide backwards and forwards. Whatever happened to the very useful arrows on a keyboard? And selecting text to change? Awkward. I think I can copy selected text. I have yet to discover the secret to pasting.
Whatever this thing does it must do it its way.

How do I like to work? Forget it :-( Do it the Apple way. Follow the program. Or forget it.

Something simple: I get a new epub to read on holiday. Okay, says the device, added to your library... but it's not.
In fact, it's added to a cloud storage space. So what? Well... the holiday is 100km from home -- with no internet. So no book to read.
Software for New York city. With high-speed always-available internet access. What a load of crap.

Oh, and it's impossible to turn the thing off. Is that a "feature"? Are users so incompetent that they can't turn a device on or off? This bugger is always on... except... it still takes three steps to wake it up. Bloody hell :-(

Here's a good point:
Email notification is a pleasant soft ping, just enough to let me know without interfering with whatever I'm doing.
On the other hand... If I am sitting with the tablet when an email arrives,
if I want to read then type a reply -- it is quicker and easier to walk across the room... to the desktop PC (which has a mouse and keyboard)... switch on, start mail... and reply from the PC. All that -- because tablet typing is such a difficult process.

Great technology. Absolute rubbish software.




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

If you're not a part of the solution, then you're part of the vast majority. (Alfred E. Neuman)

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: