Monday, June 21, 2021

The Philosopher's War / Tom Miller

The Philosopher's War
(Philosopher's War #2)
by Tom Miller

fantasy, science fiction

copyright 2019
read in June 2021

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

The front cover says that this is "a novel". Never trust a book that has to explain that it is... intended to be? ... a novel.

Okay, this book does seem to be a novel. A story, with characters, plot, beginning middle and end. I'm still confused.

It appears to be a massive attack on the violence, futility, the stupidity, the glory-seeking leadership of war. With a parallel WWI as the setting.

Or, possibly... the book is a fantasy version of the actual WWI.

I mean... there are generals, battles, tactics... straight from WWI -- but with people who can fly. Is this a parallel world? or a retelling? I don't know.

Only recently I realised -- thanks to one excellent book -- that it is possible to enjoy a parallel universe story -- without a detailed knowledge of the "actual" universe.

As far as I can tell... with no detailed knowledge of the "real" WWI -- this book is largely pointless.

It's readable. It's enjoyable. There are far too many characters for me to remember. The few I remember are, quite likeable.

Action, adventure, anti-war, it's not a bad book. If not for "a novel" on the front cover -- I would be confused. Okay... even more confused.

Then, finally: the grand finale. An act of magic which is so huge... so preposterous that yes... this is "a novel".

Oh... "magic"? I thought it was science fiction?

The flying (et cetera) is magic. Scientifically developed magic. I'm happy that the book is fantasy / science fiction.

With an ending which does... definitely... make it more than an historical retelling of WWI. So... readable... rather than just pointless.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere ... Chinese proverb


===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: