Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Ascendance / John Birmingham

Ascendance
(Dave Hooper #3)
by John Birmingham

horror, humour

copyright 2015
read in September 2020

rated 8/10: really quite good


Really quite good? Well... I certainly enjoyed it :-)

Violent. Crude. Blood-soaked. Occasionally touching. Often funny -- in a crude, violent and occasionally touching way.

I had hoped that this book would complete a trilogy but no :-( More people are introduced, evil monsters survive, a battle is won but the war continues. I should reduce my rating but, well, it's not a series which demands to be wrapped up.

By which I mean: This is a story of violence and action with some human interest thrown in. There are some threads which are slowly developing yet there are no ideas which demand a conclusion. Almost like a sitcom: no matter what happens in the middle, the start and end situations are equivalent.

The book is good fun, I enjoyed it. As a violent, horror, humourous, human story it is really quite good. I am satisfied with the conclusion. There are plenty of loose threads -- but none which demand to be followed.

It's a great read but not a great book. Just a lot of crude, violent and funny fun.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

There's a party in your heart and all the bladed weapons are invited. Have a pleasant day. … Blingtron 5000

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: