Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Casual Vacancy / JK Rowling

The Casual Vacancy
by JK Rowling

fiction

copyright 2012
started reading in December 2018

rated 7/10: well worth reading

I only read 75 pages, hardly scratching the surface of this book. But I stopped mainly because I will be away and won't have time to read much more, not for a while. I may start it again, later.

Also, I admit, not a type of book which catches my interest. I started reading because of the author -- and because of previous public opinions. Time to find out for myself.

For a subject... a theme... of interpersonal backbiting and human nastiness -- this book is good. I'm drawn into it. I would like to read more. It's mostly due to the characters.

As far as I can tell, there is only one "nice" character. He dies at the start, to create the "casual vacancy". Other characters are a mixture of okay and creepy. Yet I am drawn in. Will they remain nice, or creepy ? Which aspect will influence future actions ? Will the apparent ratbag turn out to be misunderstood and -- deep down -- nice ?

I have the feeling that a lot of nasty characters will add up to a rather positive book. With heavy social commentary along the way.

Okay, I've read only 75 pages. I feel that the book deserves more. I hope to get back to it. Later.





Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"For every action there is an equal and opposite government program."

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



No comments: