Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Island will Sink / Briohny Doyle

The Island will Sink
by Briohny Doyle

fantasy, dystopia

copyright 2016
started reading May 2018

rated 5/10: readable but only if there's nothing else

A future where all our ecological fears are reality. Where big brother enforces environmental protection and children dob in their parents. Dystopia.

I've met the main character. And his children, and a friend. Disliked them all, though that may be the fault of their society. The small amount of brain held by the main character has been severely and regularly washed.

I have the feeling that the author's intent is to show how badly we -- now -- treat the environment. A message which could be sampled and enjoyed in small amounts, like truffles. Instead, it has been slathered on like marmalade.

The stronger message is, how badly we could treat ourselves, if justified by a need to save the environment. Or if justified by the excuse, because we can.

I've not read very much of this book. I recognise that yes, this is a dystopia. I see no sign (so far) that anyone is pushing for improvement. What else is there to enjoy in this book? Nothing, as far as I can tell.

I'm perhaps 50 pages into the pretentious "establishing shot". I stop reading.





Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"I know so little that it astonishes me how many people know even less." … per Ginger Meggs

===

No comments: