Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Planet for Rent / Yoss

A Planet for Rent
by Yoss
(pen name of Jose Miguel Sanchez Gomez)
(translated by David Frye)

science fiction, short stories

copyright 2014
read in June 2017

rated 5/10: readable but only if there's nothing else

According to the back cover blurb, this book, "critiques life [in Cuba] under Castro". It must be a miserable life. And very strange.

As I understand it, Cuba maintained its independence as a communist country under Castro. Yet the Earth which is "for Rent" has been taken over by aliens. Who do unspeakable things to humans, including taking them off-planet in order to exploit them further.

The book just seems to be a rant against traditional colonial imperialism, where one country invades then exploits another. And then takes locals to the colonial home country as slaves. Which does not match my understanding of Castro's Cuba. Oh well, politics is not my strong point. 

The stories in the book are unpleasant. Very harsh critiques of... something that I don't understand. Worse yet, they are short stories...

This is a book of short stories. Set in the one universe, of Earth for Rent. Disconnected. Almost.

Okay, I admit it, I only read two of the seven stories. The two stories had just one character in common -- a human who is named but does not appear. Then I skipped to the end of the seventh story. There's a human -- who I do not remember from the first two stories. And one alien from the second story. So perhaps there is some continuity.

There is a point to each of the two stories that I read. But so far, no plot.

I read two stories. And have no interest in reading any more.


====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"There's always one more imbecile than you counted on." … per Ginger Meggs
   

No comments: