Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Stiletto / Daniel O'Malley

Stiletto
(Rook #2)
by Daniel O'Malley

fantasy

copyright 2016
read in April 2017

rated 8/10: really quite good

I've just read two books which were so good that I immediately read each one again. The other (Arcadia) rated nine. This book rates eight. I rate on my own enjoyment... So why the difference?

Arcadia is intelligent, it makes me think. Stiletto is clever. Both are incredibly enjoyable. The "intelligent" rates just a little bit higher. I would happily recommend either book :-)

The Stiletto heroes are heroines. Does that make it chick lit? Nooo... Okay, there are some costume changes, a sign of chick lit. In this book, the costume changes are mostly for fighting, or the result of fighting. With some stripping to underwear for the young male readers :-)

I think... that it's a bit like World of Warcraft: Plenty of young men play as female characters. It's simply a lot of fun to watch young female game characters. Or, in a book, to read about young, attractive, feisty young women. And the characters are extremely likable!

Two young women forced to work together. They hate the *concept* of each other. No surprise at all that they grow to like each other.

As with The Rook, the supernatural characters are many, varied, lots of fun. Fun? There's the two "wasp" people, for example... Though there is less supernatural action in this second book. Which leads to a problem with the back-cover blurb:

"Two bitter adversaries: .. the organisation that protects society from supernatural threats, and... The Grafters, a supernatural threat." Except... the Grafters are *not* supernatural. That's a major point of the conflict, the *not* supernatural Grafters!

Oh well, no fault to the author. Just a blurb writer who failed to read the book.

There is action, violence, good will and humour. Good will... the author presents a very positive view of people. Both main characters and minor walk-on roles. The lady walking her dogs in the park, for example. Sweet, positive, very nice :-)

The author seems to be in love with Britain ! His characters -- especially the non-British -- are amazed by the excitement of London and the beauty of the countryside. I couldn't agree more. There are also indications of good research. Including the author's thanks in the final Acknowledgements.

And a minor plus: Some authors slip in facts just to show off their knowledge. O'Malley slips in facts -- then makes it worthwhile. Funny. Enjoyable. Snickelways, for example...

This is an excellent book! Great fun, lots of action -- and excitement. All held together with humour. Both funny humour, and good humour.

I'm looking forward to more books. Hopefully continuing the series. Or in another world, because I believe that the author will write a good book in any, probably fantasy, universe.
===

23may19: Yep, I've just read Stiletto for the third time -- and enjoyed it just as much :-) I'm even wondering, Why was I so mean as to rate it as only an eight ?! Ah well, as I wrote in the original review, it's a great book but not quite as great as the one I had also just read. Stiiiillll… think "nine" :-)

Again, I have just read another book. Another excellent book. I looked round for the next book -- and felt the urge to read something familiar, something which I knew I would enjoy. Simple relaxation. Even more enjoyment. I read Stiletto. Enjoyed it. Enjoyed it so much... that I may just re-read The Rook.



=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"Don't fight a battle unless you really have to win it." … good advice from a manager



21jul21: Yes, I read it again. It is still brilliant :-)

I had read my first "pittacus Lore" book. Thought: nice characters but not interesting. Boring superpowers. I would like -- I thought -- to read a fantasy where the superpowers are interesting... so I re-read Stilletto. I was not disappointed :-)

Have I mentioned: at first I thought theses books were written by a woman. For the good understanding of the female characters' point of view. Then realised, the author is a man. Now I believe that the author has done a good job of writing about female characters -- as a man would really like them to be. Well done :-)

1 comment:

Nick, Consulting Dexitroboper said...

January 2018:

I just re-read The Rook... and enjoyed it so much that I also re-read Rook#2, Stiletto. And enjoyed that, too :-)

This time, however, I do notice that Stiletto seems to have a few too many scenes which are not related to the plot. All enjoyable character building and background to this fantasy world. Still, I think, some of these scenes could be cut...

On the other hand: Most of these scenes do end up being relevant to the plot!

Some scenes seem to be irrelevant. And then... I finally see the relevance. It's a complex plot! So I'm wrong in thinking that there are irrelevant scenes. I still think that... perhaps... some of the scenes are too wordy... But then... I still find this book to be an excellent book! Well worth my 8 out of 10 rating.