Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Hound of the Baskervilles / Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Hound of the Baskervilles
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

detective

copyright 1901-02
read in January 2017

rated 8/10: really quite good

Really quite good. Am I biassed because I enjoy Sherlock Holmes stories? Perhaps. But then, this blog is *my* opinion :-)

The moors are gloomy. The house is spooky -- yet welcoming, when the sun shines. The servants and the family are all suspects. The mysteries are gradually revealed, then gradually solved.

Most enjoyable!

There is mystery and there is action. The climax of the story is all action. The final mysteries are explained in a more peaceful setting, almost as a postscript. Yet an essential part of the story, so I was interested right to the last page.

And, as in The Memoirs, which I have also just read, the ending is not all fairytale. And this is due, I believe, to the attitudes of the times.

Noooo... I don't think that I can say much more. Not without spoiling some of the ending. What about this:

There is an obvious conclusion to one of the threads of the plot. Yet it does not happen. Why not? Because society's standards -- of the time -- would not accept it. Today, no worries. Then, not possible.

But that, of course, is just my opinion :-)



====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"Before your dreams can come true, you have to have those dreams" … Dr Joyce Brothers
   

No comments: