Thursday, June 30, 2016

Bloodmind / Liz Williams

Bloodmind
(2 of ?)
by Liz Williams

science fiction / fantasy

copyright 2007
partly read in June 2016

rated 5/10: readable, but only if there's nothing else

As soon as I start reading I think, What is going on? It makes no sense at all. Then I realise... the ebook that I'm reading has started at chapter 39.

Back to chapter one. And very soon I'm thinking, What is going on? It makes very little sense. Not no sense, just very little.

When I give up reading -- about one third of the way through the book -- I check the web. Yes, this is book two. That explains some of the confusion. Not all.

There are three threads running through the book. Each thread is followed through every third chapter. Except... there are some chapters which -- from the chapter title -- do not belong to any of the three labelled threads. What the?!

The book claims -- on its cover -- to be science fiction. Of course it is -- because the characters tell us so. "Back on old Earth," someone thinks, "My powers would be called magic." Well, yes. But for all the scientific explanation -- there is none -- this book may as well be fantasy.

This is a future-based Norse legend. With strong feminist overtones. The characters can repeat, This is science -- and yes, they do repeat it, several times. It is still indistinguishable from magic. So why make such a point of it?

Anyway...

After a lot of confusing story-lines, after three apparently unrelated plot threads and two what-the-heck other chapters, after meeting and not particularly liking any of the characters -- I give up.

Try book one. It may make more sense.

But having tried to read book two -- I won't be looking for book one.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
====

"Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand." … per Ginger Meggs
   

No comments: