Friday, April 8, 2016

The Temple of Doom / James Kahn

The Temple of Doom
(Indiana Jones #2)
by James Kahn

fantasy, adventure

copyright 1984
read in April 2016

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

Just a couple of weeks ago I read the book of the first Indiana Jones movie. It was embarrassing. Oh well, I thought, I guess it's not easy to turn a fun but silly movie into a readable book. I rated it six, partly in memory of an enjoyable movie.

Now I have read the book of the second movie... and down-rated the first. Yes, it is possible to write a reasonable book based on a fun but silly movie!

Okay, this is not a great book. Yet it does manage to capture the fun of the movie -- without being embarrassing. And more than that:

In retrospect, the first author was taking a childish plot and writing down to children. Writing down. Kahn, the second author, has written a childish plot -- with not a trace of condescension. Yes, it's silly. Yes, it's juvenile. No, it is not embarrassing. It is just a fun but silly book...

That's my thought, anyway. In retrospect. Without re-reading to confirm my opinion. Because, really, neither book is worth re-reading! Fun, yes. Classics with depth, no.

Temple of Doom is an enjoyable book. The action is cartoonish. The characters are ridiculous. I laugh with them, not at them. Because the book is... quite... well written.

The book is as good -- in it's own way -- as the movie. Indiana is less likeable. The girl has more depth. Short Round is less obnoxious.

Less obnoxious... But I still can't stand Short Round.

No comments: