Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Galaxy Game / Karen Lord

The Galaxy Game
by Karen Lord

science fiction

copyright 2014
read in March 2016

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

Do not read this book !

At least... Do not read this book until you have read the next paragraph:

This book appears to be a continuation. The only hint is in the back inside cover author's bio: "the prequel to The Galaxy Game". Yes, you can read just this second book. But don't expect it to make sense. Okay, now you can read this book... or not.

Publishers do do that. Give no hint that a book is part two of a continuing series. Why? Because they would disappoint a reader rather than lose a sale. In my opinion.

So. Back to this book.

Lord has created a fascinating world. A unique and complex universe. Several planets with their own histories and customs. Unfortunately she is not able to explain much of this to the reader.

There is a huge cast of players. Just three main characters. That's easy enough to follow. Though why one of them is written first person, is beyond me. Then there are the dozens of other major characters... Complex multipart names, hard to remember, named differently at different times. People who come and go. People who are referred to as being important. Sometimes their importance almost makes sense.

If I had read book one, would any of this be any clearer? Who knows. The publisher certainly doesn't think so, or they would admit that there is a prequel. Not just hide this information at the back of the book. So the characters are an ensemble cast of unknowns.

The plot is no clearer.

Why is Earth so important? What happened to old Sadira? Who are the taSadira?? Nothing is explained.

Characters appear and disappear randomly. Sometimes there is a vague explanation. Sometimes they reappear with an, Oh, so there you are! sort of welcome. All very confusing!

Despite all that -- it's not a bad book.

I have no idea who is doing what. Nor why. I have no idea why several people have to stand on a wall in order to travel through space. It doesn't really matter. Perhaps if I made notes -- people, names, actions, relationships -- as I'm reading, there may be more logic to the plot. But no. I read for enjoyment, not as a school assignment.

I end the book with a vague understanding of what went on. I have a few hints of why... just enough to make me wonder why the characters think it's at all worth doing.

Yet I end the book thinking, oh well, that was light entertainment. Harmless enough. Pleasant enough. A book to read to pass the time.

===

26jul21:


I started reading this book. Thought... what a load of nonsense, I wonder if I've read any other books by this author...

Good grief -- I've read *this* book! Such a forgettable book :-(

====

Well good grief. Once more I start reading... 05sep22: This time I read so little that I don't recognise it.

What a load -- as far as I bother reading -- what a load of pretentious nonsense.



Okay, this time I gave up very quickly.

Then read this original review. And I'm glad I stopped reading.

.

No comments: