Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Magic on the Storm / Devon Monk

Magic on the Storm
(Allie Beckstrom #4)
by Devon Monk

fantasy, chick lit

copyright 2010
read in February 2015

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

Blurb on the cover compares Devon Monk to Jim Butcher. Okay, magic user in a modern American city. Tough, independent, fighting the good fight against evil. Though Monk's evil is more personal, less end of the world. Easier to "believe".

One major difference: Butcher writes for horny teenage boys, Monk writes for lovelorn teenage girls... It makes for interesting differences. They both write for conservative middle class readers. This makes for interesting similarities.

Hmmmm... I intended to describe some of the differences. As I try to choose my words I realise, this will take a lot of words ! So, please, just take my word for it: books for boys and books for girls -- are different. Don't blame me, just believe me...

Magic on the Storm -- written for girls -- almost lost me in the first few chapters. (Yes, I'm male. Though not a teenager.) A bit too much of, I'm so tough -- but my boyfriend is even tougher. A bit too much melting in his arms as they kiss. A bit too much of the cutesy repartee.

Then the plot kicked in and I began to enjoy the book. Though I still laugh at the woman who turns up to a magic battle wearing high heeled boots...

Boys' books and girls' books do have different ideas of what makes for a good fashion statement. Though the high heeled boots may be more practical than the skimpy dresses worn by many of Butcher's female characters.

Anyway, the action started. Relatively simple plot with relatively complex characters. (Relative to Butcher, that is.) The characters are complex largely because we don't know whether they are good or bad. Perhaps less complex, more misunderstood...

It's action, adventure, teenage girl wish fulfilment. An enjoyable romp, an easy to read bit of escapism.

Not great. Quite enjoyable... once it really gets going.

Oh, and it doesn't really matter that this is book four... The characters are either self explanatory or clearly introduced. And it doesn't really matter that the book ends with the heroine stepping into incredible danger... We know that she'll suffer but survive. And the rest of the characters are... well... who cares.


"If he had a mind, there was something on it." PG Wodehouse, of a troubled Pongo Twistleton

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: