Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Demi-Monde (1): Winter / Rod Rees

Demi-Monde (1): Winter
by Rod Rees

science fiction, chick lit

copyright 2011
read in August 2014

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

A great idea for a world -- all the psychopathic, murderous, power-mad nuts from history, all in one world. I was afraid it could be too nasty for me... but it wasn't.

Demi-Monde is chick lit. Very violent chick lit. Though the violence is muted -- once a character is well-known to the reader, they are very unlikely to die.

Chick lit ? Most of the main good guys are gals... Heroines rather than heroes. Supported by a male who is smart, brave and most importantly -- in love with the heroine.

One hero is so "modern" that he buys clothes for his heroine. Sexy clothes which fit ! Barely ... :-) And the emphasis on what the heroine is wearing -- is a key indicator of chick lit.

It's a lot of fun. Perhaps worth more than six out of ten. But...

The book does not end.

Rather, the book ends but the story does not. Okay, the Winter on the title suggests that there are four books in the series. But really... Does it have to end with so *many* cliff-hangers ?!

Annoying.

Very, very, annoying.

 . . . 

Afterword: I may have been a bit harsh.

I did enjoy this book. I enjoy the chick lit aspects -- I enjoy the softer approach to action and violence.

There was some excellent word-play, mostly on the names of the various groups of people. As an example -- pure word-play: "4telling" is speaking of the future, 3telling is speaking of the present, 2telling of the past... and 1telling is keeping silent. Brilliant !

Since the Demi-Monde is a grab-bag of history's worst haters, racists, xenophobes, misogynists, etc, etc -- there's a lot of casual name-calling. The sort of stuff that would get you arrested in our "more enlightened" cultures. Is this acceptable ? Doesn't worry me... But I'd be surprised if the professional hate-haters are not upset. So, another interesting aspect to this book.

Then I reached the end of the book. And found that it is the middle -- or earlier -- of the story.

Will I read Spring ? And, presumably, Summer and Autumn ? But what if there's Winter2 ?! And a continuation of the story via Great Beyond: Close By, and Great Beyond: Further Out ??!

No... without a clear indication that this story will ever end...

I'll cut my losses.

I may read more books in this series.

I certainly will not search for them.


====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: