Friday, July 4, 2014

Issola / Steven Brust

Issola
by Steven Brust
Vlad Taltos (9)

fantasy

copyright 2001
read in June 2014

rated 7/10: well worth reading

Rated as "well worth reading" -- if you have been following the earlier adventures of Vlad Taltos ! This book is enjoyable... but it is very much one step on a longer journey.

The Taltos stories are set on a world with two major civilisations -- plus several other civilised races. This book goes a long way to explaining the background to and relationships between the various races. As a fan of the series -- I am fascinated. It may be less interesting -- I suspect -- if you are not already familiar with Taltos.

I think that you would enjoy Issola as a standalone novel. But not as much as I enjoyed it, as one step in a world of discovery. So... speaking as a fan...

Dragaera is a world of magic. From this book -- and from earlier hints -- this is one world of magic in a more mundane universe. The characters interpret what they see in terms of magic. The reader begins to see science fiction.

Where will it end ? I hope that the series continues the exploration...

The book is enjoyable.  Books in the series are great fun, with action and adventure and humour. The series is adding depth, a full universe beyond the fantasy world of adventure.

It's about time for me to look for more books in the series !

====

09Oct23: It's nine years since I first read this book. I am no longer so *currently* steeped in the series -- yet I still enjoyed the book as an almost standalone novel of SF&F. Admittedly I still remember the characters -- and would not recommend the book as a start into the series.

There's one thing that I notice -- this time -- which did not strike me before: There is a lot... a *lot* of mystical magic mumbo jumbo.

The hero needs some magic, he begins to cast a spell, the spell... somehow... forms itself in his mind. Oh, gosh, so that's what I need to do... and the day is saved.

Or, to put it another way: this book is not about building on a clearly defined magical framework, it's about developing towards an explanation of the world of Taltos.

A bit silly but still good fun.

====
Problems ? Solved

1 comment:

Nick, Consulting Dexitroboper said...

February 2018: Read again, same opinion: excellent for fans of the series, otherwise just an enjoyable book.