Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Cusanus Game / Wolfgang Jeschke

The Cusanus Game
by Wolfgang Jeschke
translated by Ross Benjamin

science fiction

copyright 2005 (the German version)
not read (in English) March 2014

not rated

Not read, not rated. Bit if I had rated it -- based on the 40 pages that I read -- it would have been 4/10: bad but could be read.

"Bad" is perhaps an exaggeration. It's just miserable. Depressing. And confusing.

There's the standard Prologue: nothing that is obviously related to the material of chapter one. But depressing. Chapter one continues the theme: depressing. One vaguely likable character -- not the narrator. Setting the scene in a miserable environment.

What is really happening ? Who knows. Will the narrator survive ? Who cares.

The story slips roughly into a fragmented flashback. The narrator talking to the pope... or some other religious figure. I forget. Speaking to the pope for some unstated and apparently unrelated reason. I gave up reading.

Perhaps I'm not in the mood to be depressed by a book. I put it down. Three weeks later -- I still cannot bear to read any further.

Four out of ten. Bad but could be read. Based on forty pages of a 500 page book. Enjoyment factor so far: nil.

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: