Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Day Watch / Sergei Lukyanenko

The Day Watch
by Sergei Lukyanenko
translated by Andrew Bromfield
book 2 of 3

fantasy

copyright 1998, translated to English 2007
read in October 2013

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

So there's this attractive and likeable young woman. She has super-powers. One of a crowd, in a police-style job amongst the super-community.

She's injured on the job. Is sent to holiday camp to recuperate. Falls in love. Is killed by her lover.

What ?!

I checked the front of the book. Okay, it's volume two of a trilogy. So this is part of a larger story.

I think... This young woman -- the star of this story -- surely she has not just been killed off ?! I turn the page and find... a new story. I skim ahead... can't find any mention of the young woman.

It seems that she really has been killed off. I get involved in her story -- and she's gone.

Okay, it may make sense within the scope of the trilogy. Too bad. I've lost interest.

Oh, and you can ignore the cover... There is no "JK Rowling" style in this book.

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: