Monday, August 12, 2013

The Curse of the Mistwraith / Janny Wurts

The Curse of the Mistwraith
by Janny Wurts
Wars of Light and Shadow (1)

fantasy

copyright 1994
read in August 2013

rated 6: read to pass the time

Okay, I've only read 120 of the 800-odd pages. I doubt that I will read any more.

Not that it's bad ! In fact, my rating of 6 out of 10 is probably unfair. As the first book of a fantasy epic it is possibly quite good. But for me... 6 out of 10.

So Light is not all good and Shadow is not all bad. I prefer a bit more clarity in my characters... perhaps a villain with a touch of pity or a hero with a shade of doubt. These two -- just bicker and fight and are pretty much unlikeable.

They leave their homeland -- and spend no thought on the trouble that this will be causing at home. One of them at least, was desperate to help the people of his own country... until he was put in personal danger. Upon which -- no more mention of the starving people back home.

Then they meet the super-wizard of the new country. Oh dear, he thinks, this man's entire moral belief is based on separation of wizard power from politics. Well, we can't have that. So super-wizard promptly -- and without asking the hero -- messes with the hero's mind. To make the hero more amenable to ignoring a lifetime's training in moral values.

Does the one come before the many ? Or the many before the one ? I don't know. But I do know this: it should be a matter of choice. The choice of the one. The choice of the one person whose life is about to be sacrificed for the good of the many.

Super-wizard decides to sacrifice -- without consultation -- the happiness and possibly the life of another person. Super-wizard has proven himself to be evil. The dark Lord dressed up as Gandalf.

Which is not a problem in itself. Except that I get the distinct impression that the author supports the actions of this evil person. I do not look forward to finding out what happens next.

So I've stopped reading.

As I said earlier, this may be a good book. Possibly a good series.

Not a book that *I* want to read.

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: