Wednesday, April 3, 2013

We Few / David Weber and John Ringo

We Few
by David Weber and John Ringo

copyright 2005
military science fiction

rated 6: read to pass the time

For Christmas I was given a collection of a dozen or so books by PG Wodehouse. Brilliant books... Funny books... Nice books... I needed a change! So I read We Few.

Okay. We Few is definitely not Wodehouse!

Blood and thunder. Cunning plans and heroic hand-to-hand fighting. Loyalty, honour and service before all else. Spoilt just a little by the stupidity of the villains.

It is also interesting that the hero's choices are not always simple.

Sure, we fight for the throne... But, having won the fight, should we now sit on the throne? The good guys fight for right, but right is not always obvious. Which makes for thought, for the reader, and a more interesting book.

Military SF has its own standards. By those standards I suspect that We Few is good. I find it to be just a bit over the top -- more so than I remember from previous books in the series.

As a book for the moment -- it is just what I want. I read the last two-thirds in one (very late) sitting. Sit up, blink, think, Wow! that was fun!

I don't go out of my way to read military SF. But when I see more books by Weber and Ringo -- I will be happy to read them.

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: