Thursday, December 13, 2012

Wet world / Mark Michalowski

Wet World
by Mark Michalowski
a Doctor Who book

science fiction
copyright 2007
read in December 2012

rating 6: read to pass the time

I was a fan of the old Doctors Who. You can see this coming... I don't like the new Doctors Who. The new Doctors are childish, over-confident and under-performing. Relationships with the companions are also a bit embarrassing.

Some of the "new" stories are okay. I admit that I have not watched many -- I turn off when the melodrama becomes too bad. Still, perhaps the stories may, in fact, be science fiction -- under the surface coating of rom com children's adventure.

This book overcomes most of the weaknesses of the tv show.

The weaknesses are still there: over confident grins, romantic looks, too clever solutions, contrived plot... Yet it is quite easy to read.

I turn off the TV show. How can I bear to read the book?!

A book may be read at any speed... Well, a book may be read, or read slowly and carefully -- or a book may be skimmed... And that's what I did with Wetworld.

When the Doctor was too smug, I skimmed. When Martha was a bit silly, I skimmed. When the story was readable -- I read.

The book is quite readable. And at points where I would have grimaced and reached for the off button of the TV remote control -- I simply read a bit faster. And enjoyed the book.

As science fiction, Wetworld is acceptable. For fans of the old Doctors Who, the book is readable. For fans of the new Doctors: read and enjoy... It's the new Doctor Who, in the great new medium of, "print".

====
Problems ? Solved

No comments: