Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Husband / Dean Koontz

The Husband

category: thriller, author:

Dean Koontz

original copyright 2004,
read in September 2010

Agamedes' opinion: 7 out of 10

This book began with a very confronting situation... No need for me to spoil it, just read the front cover of the book. The setup was enough to make me almost afraid to read on... I do not like "nasty" books.

Still, this is Dean Koontz. I enjoy Dean Koontz books. Though I never did finish reading Intensity... it was too intense for me.

The Husband sets up a very -- potentially -- nasty situation. Within a few chapters I realised, The Husband is unbeatable: there will be a happy ending!

With a sigh of relief, I read on...

Despite the nasty setup this is, I believe, a story of the strengths and weaknesses of family. The hero had an awful family upbringing -- yet he survived, with the strength to be a hero when the need arose. We can all overcome our childhood trauma... not everyone does.

This book is about the strengths -- and weaknesses -- of families and of individuals. The hero will triumph, there is no doubt (after the first few chapters) of that. What obstacles will he overcome? How will he overcome them? Those are the questions which kept me reading, almost non-stop, to the very satisfying conclusion.

Koontz presents a very positive view of the world. Yes, there is evil. Yes, niceness will overcome that evil. I may have my doubts -- but Koontz' view of the world makes for a very enjoyable book.

Put aside your doubts. Cheer for the hero, cheer as the villain gets his comeuppance... The message may or may not be believable. So what?! This is a book to be enjoyed.


..o0o..
These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.
For an independent and thoughtful review of
your processes, problems or documents,
email nickleth at gmail dot com.

No comments: